Major Muscles Worked:
- Start on the floor or mat on all fours; hands and knees
hands should be shoulder width apart, and knees, hip width
- Wrap a band around the arch of your foot, between your knees, and hold on to the ends of the band with each hand.
- Shift your weight in your palms and the knee of your untethered leg
- Press your foot against the band up through your heel, straightening your leg.
engage the glute muscle of the moving leg
- Stop when your leg straight, and either parallel to the ground, or your heel is slightly higher than your hip.
Make it Easier:
- Change the resistance of the band, or go without a band all together using bodyweight only.
Make it Harder:
- Use a heavier band.
- Keep your hips square to the ground.
- Keep the foot of the moving leg flexed (not pointed), and pointed down (versus out to the side).
- You’ll want to bend the arm of the stabilizing leg. Resist that; keep your arms the same throughout the movement.
- Look in a mirrror (or video yourself if that’s not possible – no one has to see it) to ensure your foot is moving in the right direction.
Dumbbell Kickback Variation
- In this variation, you’ll place the dumbbell in the crook of your knee.
- In this variation, you’ll need to keep your knee bent more so that the dumbbell doesn’t fall out during the movement.
- So, instead of kicking back, you’ll be kicking more towards the ceiling.