Hi! I’m Elizabeth
Master Certified Health & Life Coach for Women in Peri & Menopause
Podcast Host – The Done with Dieting Podcast
There are SO MANY changes that happen in a woman’s life during midlife: Menopause and the symptoms it produces; how we identify ourselves as we age; the pressures, problems, and stresses in this phase of life are so different than before.
The problem is that even though menopause is something that 50% of the population will, is, or has gone through, there really isn’t a lot of research being done on it. And as much as I love and support doctors, many just shrug & don’t give their patients a lot of resources. That menopause is something that we just have to put up with.
But I’m here to tell you that I’ve witnessed how much we are in control of our menopausal symptoms. THEY are the ones who have failed you. And that’s why I keep learning more and more and developing my skills – to show you that you are not alone in your struggles. AND that there’s another way.
I’m a Master Certified Health and Life Coach for women in Menopause & Peri Menopause.
However what I do lacks an appropriate name.
Some call it life coaching, health coaching, or wellness coaching, but what I do doesn’t fit into one specific description that is easily explained in one sentence.
Here’s how I understand it:
Our health does not exist on its own, in a silo unaffected by the rest of our lives.
Rather, our health is a product or symptom of the rest of our lives.
As women, we’ve been socialized to adhere to certain rules or guidelines:
- Be pretty, but not beautiful in a sexy kind of way.
- Be nice, but don’t be a doormat.
- Be ambitious, but not more than your partner (if your partner is a man).
- Be a good girl.
- Your value is in doing for others and being attractive.
As a result, women feel an enormous social pressure to be attractive at any cost and through growing up in a society that values thinness over health and many women have cultivated a poor relationship with food, exercise, and her body.
Additionally, because we are socialized to believe that a good woman does for others – our partner, parents, children, coworkers, clients, etc. – we prioritize other people’s wants over our own basic needs, and when we do practice self-care, it’s either another item on our to-do list, or something that we only do for ourselves SO THAT we can continue to prioritize others needs and wants.
As a result, we neglect our own health, needs, wants, dreams and desires. And we are so hard on ourselves if we make even the smallest mistake.
We already know that diets and exercise programs don’t work because those techniques only tell us what to do – and not how to problem solve when you become so incredibly overwhelmed by all the items on your to-do list, that instead of doing the next thing, that you delay the overwhelm by eating something comforting. A cookie, chips, chocolate, or ice cream.
When we can understand how the other parts of our life influence our health – how we view ourselves, job demands, family demands, changing needs of growing children and parents, changes in our primary relationship – but then also understand how our health impacts those same areas, we can be more empowered to make decisions based on what we want instead of what we SHOULD do.
As a post menopausal woman, I’ve been there, searched for the answers, and cracked the code to feeling good as our hormones shift, and we move out of the reproductive years. I know how hard it is to do all the things “they” say to do and still not get the promised results.
After working with 100s of women in menopause and peri menopause over the past 17 years, I’ve learned a few things, and I want to spread the word about what I’ve learned.
There is hope. I can show you how.
This is How I Can Help You:
- Together we will uncover the exact foods that will help you to shed the weight and keep it off and support healthy hormones in a way that is unique to your metabolism and takes the guess work away from what to eat.
- Learn how to optimize you time, energy & priorities so that you feel more in control and never feel like your health is at the mercy of of your circumstances
- Develop awareness and responsibility to yourself around those things that make you feel good not just in the moment, but help you to feel in control of your life and health.
- Establish emotional balance so that you feel less anxiety, irritation, and anger, and more calm, ease, joy, and love.
- Break unhelpful patterns and habits that lead to over-drinking, overeating, or eating for unexplained reasons.
- Learn how to work with and shape your own brain so that you stop sabotaging yourself, and instead become consistent in the habits that will help you to feel good.
- Certified Life Coach – The Life Coach School
- Certified Feminist Coach – Redesign Your Mind
- Certified Health Coach – American Council on Exercise
- Certified Level 1 & 2 Nutrition Coach – Precision Nutrition
- Certified Women’s Hormonal Health Coach – Metabolic Effect
- Certified Personal Trainer – American Council on Exercise
If you really want to know more, here are a few things you don’t know about me:
- My roller derby name is BarBelle
- I’m the youngest of 6 children in my family – and they all think I’m a little off my rocker for moving out of the country
- The craziest thing I ever did was moving in with my husband after dating long-distance for only 5 months
- Gary & I were on an episode of House Hunters International after our move to Mexico. You can catch that here.
When I’m not helping folks get healthier through online health coaching, you’ll probably find me at the beach with my two dogs, Bessie and Sadie, or drinking a glass of Malbec and sharing a pizza with my main squeeze, Gary!
Every week I send out an email with tips, tricks, or mindset shifts that can really make what seems hard, easier. Click this link to get on the list!
And learn more about My Transformation.