Major Muscles Worked:
- Stand tall with your feet closer than hip width apart.
- Feet should be parallel to each other.
- Take a large step to the side.
Larger than that. Yep. Even larger.
- Make sure that both feel are parallel to each-other
The moving foot should not be pointed out in the direction of the movement.
- Keep the stationary leg straight.
- Push your hips back, and bend the knee of the moving leg.
Go as far as you can; until you feel a good stretch on the inner thigh of the straight (stationary) leg.
- Press through the heel of the bent leg, to return to standing.
Make it Easier:
- Place a or pole or chair to the front/side of the moving leg. Stabilize your self by holding on to the chair with one hand.
Make it Harder:
- Add weight – but ensure that your core stability doesn’t get compromised.
- Look at yourself in the mirror for this move.
- Your hips should not be centered between your two legs; they should be over to the side of the travelling leg.
- Your knee should not break the plane of your toe on the travelling leg.
- Chest up, shoulders back. Look ahead – not at the ground.
- Your head & chest should be slightly in front of your hips at the bottom of the movement.
- Both feet should be flat on the ground when in the bent knee position (don’t let the foot of your straight leg come up on the edge of the foot).
Other Side Lunge Variations
Side Lunge with Knee Up