Major Muscles Worked:
- Lie on the floor (or a bench if you have it)
Your knees can be bent, with your feet flat on the floor, or your legs can be straight. If your legs are straight, make sure that your legs are engaged, and not relaxed, flopping out to the side.
- Hold the ends of one dumbbell in each of your hands with your arms straight, weight close to the ceiling, and above your chest.
- Keeping your arms straight, hinge at your shoulders to bring the weight overhead, close to the floor.
Only go back as far as you can safely hinge at your shoulder.
- Without pausing at the bottom of the movement, reverse the movement to bring the weight back to the ceiling.
If you were to look at this movement from the side, you’re hinging your shoulders from perpendicular to the floor, to parallel to the floor – just a 1/4 of a circle.
- Keep your eyes on the weights.
- Do NOT close your eyes! Whenever you have weights over your head, it is IMPORTANT to keep your eyes OPEN!
- Keep your elbows as straight as possible.