For the Salad:
- 1 cup soft wheatberries
- 6 cups water or veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red bell pepper
- 2 Tbs capers, drained and chopped
- 3 Tbs sliced scallion, white and green part
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbs fresh chopped basil or cilantro
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 to 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- 2 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fruity olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a heavy saucepan with a lid, combine the wheatberries, water or broth, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then simmer partially covered until the wheatberries are pleasantly chewy, which may take anywhere form 50 to 90 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, discard the bay leaf, and let the berries cool in the liquid. When cool, drain
off all the liquid and put the berries into a large bowl.
- Add the artichoke hearts, tomatoes, roasted pepper, capers, scallion, almonds and basil or cilantro. In a small bowl, wisk dressing ingredients together and toss with the salad. Add salt and pepper to taste.